Photo Credit: Clipart.com
Go to the Mystery of the Pharaohs website, read the section below, and answer the following questions. Then working with your group, use the answers to prepare a brief presentation to the class about how scientists are learning about ancient diseases by studying mummies.
Section to read: Deciphering Disease in Ancient Mummies
- Why is it no longer necessary to unwrap or even remove mummies from their coffins for study?
- From which part of the mummy is the majority of evidence for ancient disease is gathered from and why?
- What can scientists learn about mummies from x-rays?
- How does technology help scientists "see through coffins" and virtually unwrap a mummy they’d like to learn about?
- After a sample of internal tissue is carefully rehydrated, what can scientists do to gather evidence from the sample?
- What diseases did the ancient Egyptians suffer from? What two modern diseases did they rarely suffer from?