Complete each statement below with one of the multiple choice answers provided.
1. _____ has been the number one killer of people in the United States since 1900.
A. Cancer B. Diabetes C. Heart disease D. Automobile accidents
2. The primary reason for this modern development is the advent of _____.
A. Electricity B. Refined sugar C. The automobile D. The Industrial Revolution
3. _____ has led to an increase of clogged blood vessels, strokes, and heart attacks.
A. Exercise B. Low-fat diets C. Manual Labor D. Inactive lifestyles and rich diets
4. The field of _____ has grown tremendously to search out the causes and develop cures for heart disease.
A. Radiology B. Cardiology C. Optometry D. Biology
5. _____ is considered a serious risk factor for heart disease and the new “cholesterol” of the 21st century.
A. Folate B. Triglycerides C. Methionine D. Homocysteine
6. _____ is the accumulation of fatty plaque in the arteries and accounts for over 1.5 million heart attacks and 600,000 strokes in the U.S. every year.
A. Cholesterol B. Triglycerides C. Atherosclerosis D. Homocysteine
7. Research shows that atherosclerosis can begin appearing in arteries when a person is still in their ____.
A. Childhood B. 20s C. 30s D. 40s
8. _____ is NOT a key factor believed to influence the levels of homocysteine in the blood.
A. Age B. Alcohol use C. Gender D. Genetics
9. Our _____, which control(s) every function of the body, are basically the same as our early ancestors.
A. Genes B. Diets C. Blood D. Beverages
10. _____ was/were NOT a key part of the hunter-gatherer diet in the Paleolithic era?
A. Fruits B. Vegetables C. Game meat D. Grains
11. Research shows that 99% of our genes were formed before the development of ____ 10,000 years ago.
A. Life B. Vegetation C. Agriculture D. Animal domestication
12. Researchers hold that a better and more nutritious diet includes each of the following, EXCEPT _____.
A. Plant foods B. Game meat C. Vitamins D. Grains and dairy products