Use the resources on the Skin Cancer Types, Prevention, and Detection student esheet <http://sciencenetlinks.com/esheets/skin-cancer-prevention-and-detection/> to help you answer the questions on this sheet.
Skin Cancer: Types
- What are the main warning signs of skin cancer?
- Name the three types of skin cancer.
Basal cell carcinoma
- What are the characteristics of basal cell carcinoma?
- Click on and review the six samples of basal cells. How might you know you have basal cell carcinoma?
Squamous cell carcinoma
- In which layer of skin do squamous cell carcinomas originate?
- Among which populations is this form of cancer most common?
- Describe where squamous cells might be found on the body.
- Why should people be more aware of squamous cell carcinoma?
- Why should you be concerned about squamous cell carcinoma?
- What should individuals look for when checking for squamous cell carcinoma on their skin?
- Click on and review the five samples of squamous cell carcinoma. What characteristics might alert you to this kind of skin cancer?
Melanoma and the Danger Signs
- Why is melanoma the most dangerous form of skin cancer?
- In which layer does melanoma originate?
- Who is more susceptible to melanoma?
- What are the four types of melanoma?
- What are the ABCD symptoms?
- Click on and review the five samples of melanoma. What strikes you most about these samples?
- Name some warning signs of melanoma.
Prevention and Detection
- What are the best ways to protect yourself from skin cancer?
Now that you have learned more about the different types of skin cancer, you will work with a group to create a poster that provides information about the skin cancer, including the cancer’s characteristics, warning signs, and the ways in which the cancer can be treated. The poster should include text and images.