Based on what you read on the resources found on the School System and Digestive System student esheet, students should answer the questions on this sheet.
1. Based on what you know about systems, explain why the digestive system is a “system.”
Possible response: There are many parts that make up one large part of the body—the digestive part, or digestive system.
2. Choose three parts of the digestive system and describe their functions.
Note: Possible responses found on the website.
3. Now, choose one part of the digestive system and describe how it affects other parts of the digestive system.
Possible responses found on the website.
4. Describe how a school system and a digestive system are similar.
Possible response: Each is made up of several parts; if one of these parts changes, it impacts the entire system.
5. Describe how a school system and digestive system are different.
Possible response: The purpose of the systems, and their inputs and outputs, are different.
6. We discussed how a school system is actually a subsystem of a larger educational system. Is the digestive system also a subsystem of a larger system? How so?
Possible response: The digestive system is part of a larger system—the human body. The digestive system impacts other subsystems of the body, for example, the respiratory system. As part of the digestive system, the epiglottis helps to keep food and liquid out of the lungs (part of the respiratory system) when you swallow. If the epiglottis didn’t work, the lungs could potentially stop working efficiently. The important tasks of the lungs (storing energy, removing poisons from the body) might stop, and this could ultimately prevent other parts of the body from functioning properly.