The "Regenesis of the Passenger Pigeon" chapter shares the history of the passenger pigeon and its human-caused extinction. This chapter introduces the efforts to extract DNA from passenger pigeon samples and one day resurrect these birds. Use the resources on the Resurrection Science student esheet and read Ch. 7 in the book to help answer the questions on this sheet.
1. In your own words, explain the dilemma in this chapter.
2. What was the most interesting thing you discovered in this chapter?
3. What was confusing?
4. What makes the passenger pigeon a keystone species?
5. Briefly describe how the passenger pigeon became extinct.
6. Suppose a passenger pigeon chick has hatched, what is the plan to raise it and teach it how to be a passenger pigeon? Why is this step important?
7. In your own words, do you think that resurrecting extinct animals will benefit the conservation effort?
8. Does your opinion change knowing that the animal in question became extinct due to humans killing them off? Explain.
9. Research any additional information out there on this current de-extinction project. Will these passenger pigeons be brought back to life anytime soon?