The "Metaphysical Rhinos" chapter explores the idea of de-extinction and introduces the advancements in stem cell research. This chapter also tells the story about the conservation efforts to preserve the white rhinos and the philosophical theories on animal life. Use the resources on the Resurrection Science student esheet and read Ch. 6 in the book to help answer the questions on this sheet.
1. In your own words, explain the dilemma in this chapter.
2. What was the most interesting thing you discovered in this chapter?
3. What was confusing?
4. What are induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs)? How could these be used for wildlife conservation?
5. Explain in your own words the metaphysical concepts “real essentialism” and “three-dimensional individualism.”
6. In your own words, do you think it is ethical to create iPSCs from endangered animals to save them? What about creating new species to increase diversity?
7. Give a brief history of the struggle to save white rhinos in the wild.
8. Research any additional information out there on the white rhinos. How are these rhinos doing today?