Use the instructions on this sheet to learn how to plant your seeds.
What you need:
- 6–8 seeds (see note below)
- 2 paper cups (or other small containers)
- One small plastic lid per cup (to catch the water)
Note: If you’re using seeds from a seed packet, follow the planting instructions on the packet. You can use dried beans from the cupboard, but you may want to soak them in water for a couple hours first.
What to do:
- Place the first cup on a table covered with newspaper to protect the table. (You could also work outside.)
- Poke a hole in the bottom of the cup with a pencil.
- Fill the cup almost full with soil.
- Make a couple holes in the soil with your finger or pencil.
- Place one or two seeds in the hole and cover them with soil.
- Place a plastic lid under the cup, water the seeds, and place the cup in a sunny spot.
- Repeat this process for the second cup but place this cup in a dark place.
- Water the soil when it looks dry. If you stick your finger one inch into the soil and it feels dry, then water your plant. When you water the plant, moisten the soil by using enough water so that it starts to come out of the hole in the bottom of the cup.
- After a few days, check on the seeds. Did the seeds in the cup in the sun sprout? Did the seeds in the cup in the dark place sprout?
- Leave the sprouted seedling in the sun and place a clear jar over it overnight. Check the cup in the morning. What do you see?