The "Exuberant Evolution in a Desert Fish" chapter explores the story of the pupfish and their adaptation to both freshwater and saline environments. This chapter explores evolution and how these fish have evolved rather quickly. Use the resources on the student esheet and read Ch. 3 in the book to help answer the questions on this sheet.
1. In your own words, explain the dilemma in this chapter.
2. What was the most interesting thing you discovered in this chapter?
3. What was confusing?
4. What is the biological species concept? What would be some disadvantages of this concept?
5. What is the phenotypic species concept? What would be some disadvantages of this concept?
6. What is the phylogenetic species concept? What would be some disadvantages of this concept?
7. Name the four places the pupfish are found and describe these environments. How do the pupfish morphologically differ in these environments?
8. Research any additional information out there on the desert pupfish. How are these fish populations doing today?