Photo Credit: Clipart.com
Go to the Mystery of the Pharaohs website, read the section below, and answer the following questions. Then working with your group, use the answers to prepare a brief presentation to the class about how DNA is extracted from mummies and what can be learned from doing so.
Section to read: Extracting Mummy DNA
- Why is it difficult to extract DNA from mummies?
- What do scientists hope to learn from collecting DNA evidence and analyzing it?
- Describe the careful precautions taken in Dr. Woodward’s lab to ensure that the
samples are not contaminated. Why is this important?
- Why are Egyptian mummies particularly good for extracting DNA evidence?
- What do scientists do to increase the amount of a small DNA sample so that it can be
more easily read?