Respond to these questions based on what you learn using the Exploring Leonardo student esheet.
1. What is your definition of a machine?
2. What kinds of machines were common in Leonardo's time? What were they like? What were they made of?
3. What new idea about machines did Leonardo have?
4. How was Leonardo’s idea different from that of his contemporaries?
The Elements of Machines
5. Did “The Elements of Machines” change your ideas about machines in any way? If so, revise your definition of a machine in the space provided. Explain your answer.
6. Are Leonardo’s designs still useful today? What can we learn from studying his ideas? Explain your answer.