Photo Credit: Clipart.com
You will now write a short essay on what you have learned about genetic testing and the ethical issues involved. Your essay should include the following information:
- Description of what genetic testing is
- Description of the ethical issues involved in having genetic testing and prenatal testing
- Description of Carlos and Mollie’s dilemma
- Description of CF
- Perspectives of different people and professionals on genetic testing and prenatal testing
- How this information is helpful to Carlos and Mollie
- The types of options that Carlos and Mollie have
- Some problems associated with genetic testing, particularly if Carlos and Mollie are Hispanic or Asian or African-American
- The options Mollie and Carlos have if Mollie gets tested and she finds out that she is a carrier for CF
- The options Mollie and Carlos have if Mollie gets tested and she finds that she is not a carrier for CF. Should they then have prenatal testing done on their unborn child?
- The options Carlos and Mollie have if they have the prenatal test done and the results are positive. What does a positive result mean for their child?
- What do you recommend that Carlos and Mollie do based on all the information presented?