Use the resources listed on the Skin Cancer Investigation student esheet <http://sciencenetlinks.com/esheets/skin-cancer-investigation/> to answer the questions on this sheet.
Biological Basis of Heredity: Cell Reproduction
- What is the most common form of cell replication?
- What are somatic cells?
- What is mitosis?
- How many phases of mitosis do somatic cells go through and in what amount of time?
Introduction and Part 1: Skin Form and Function
- What is the largest organ in humans?
- What is the primary function of our skin?
- How else does the skin act to protect you?
- The skin has three layers. Do you know what they are?
- Do you think skin color provides added protection from environmental elements, like the sun?
SCI: Skin Cancer Investigation
- What are the types of cells in the epidermis and how are they related to each other?
- What is melanin and what is its role in the epidermis?
- What is keratin and what does it do?
- What are the two primary features of the dermis?
- Describe the subcutaneous tissue.
Effects of the Sun on the Skin
- Name the main benefits of sunlight.
- What are some of the benefits of the sun’s UV rays?
- How are these rays harmful?
- How do UV rays affect normal cell division?
- Why do some people have a greater chance of developing skin cancer compared to others?
- What are the main differences between benign and malignant tumors?
Common Risk Factors
- What are the five most common modifiable risk factors of skin cancer?
- How can where you live increase your chances of developing skin cancer?
- How does genetics play a role?
- What is actinic keratosis?