Photo Credit: Clipart.com
Use the Cancer Risks student esheet <http://sciencenetlinks.com/esheets/cancer-risks/> to access the online resources that will help you complete this student sheet.
- What community/communities are being affected by cancer?
- Who is developing cancer?
- Explain the alleged causes of cancer according to the article.
- How have the communities reacted to the high incidence of cancer?
- How have local government and health agencies responded?
- What conclusions can you draw from the article about the relationship between cancer and the environment?
- What other types of information might you need to convince you that these cancers are due to chemicals and pollutants in the environment?
Understanding Gene Testing
- How do gene mutations occur?
- What are the factors that can determine the outcome of a gene mutation?
- Do most cancers result from random mutations in one’s lifetime or from an inherited mutation?
Known and Probable Carcinogens
- According to the article, what causes cancer?
- What is a carcinogen?
- Do all carcinogens act directly on a cell’s DNA?
- Which two types of cancer studies are described in the article?
What Are the Risk Factors for Developing Cancer?
- What is a risk factor?
- Describe some factors that are likely to play a major role in increasing a person’s risk of cancer.
- What are some behavioral choices that could affect your cancer risk?
- Describe some environmental factors that are discussed in the article.