Answer the questions on this sheet as you read the article Aspirin Effect: Pain Relief and More. It describes the history and science of aspirin. (The article starts on page 3 of the PDF).
- What do willow tree bark extract, oil of wintergreen, and aspirin have in common?
- The study of the chemistry of medicinal plants began in the 1800s. Why would it have been difficult to identify the active ingredients in those plants?
- What were some of the drawbacks to salicylic acid as a pain reliever?
- Felix Hoffman, who worked for the Bayer Company, invented aspirin in 1897. How did he make it?
- What are some of the benefits of aspirin?
- How does aspirin work?
- What do you think are some possible strategies for reducing stomach irritation caused by aspirin?
- What are some other medical discoveries that have been found as a result of our understanding of how aspirin works?