The "An Ark of Toads" chapter explores the story of the attempt to save a rare spray toad in face of an economical/political challenge. This chapter explores the value of animal life and the cost of trying to save it. Use the resources on the Resurrection Science student esheet and read Ch. 1 in the book to help answer the questions on this sheet.
1. In your own words, explain the dilemma in this chapter.
2. What was the most interesting thing you discovered in this chapter?
3. What was confusing?
4. In your own words, explain what value the species have to you. How do you think the human population benefits from biodiversity?
5. Do you agree with the concept of intrinsic value? Explain.
6. Explain what is meant by a microclimate. What was the toad’s microclimate like?
7. How is an animal’s fitness measured?
8. What may be some issues when returning captive animals to the wild?
9. What was the likely final cause of the toad’s extinction in the wild?
10. Research any additional information out there on these spray toads that was not mentioned in this book.