In this lesson, you will look at websites, read materials, and learn about viruses, bacteria, and infectious diseases. You will participate in classroom exercises and activities and use different online sites to create your final project by choosing a disease to focus on for your own Virus/Infectious Disease Hall of Fame.
Start by listening to an audio feature about viruses called Smallest Thing. Think about answers to these questions as you listen to the audio and read the Making Sense of the Research section. You will discuss these questions in class.
- What is the difference between a living and a non-living thing?
- What are viruses really? Are they a life form? In what way do they seem alive?
- How are they different from bacteria?
- What are viroids and can they hurt us?
- How do we catch viruses and infectious diseases?
- What is something simple that can be done to prevent spreading the illnesses?
- Can you name some illnesses caused by viruses and bacteria?
Now you will explore viruses and infectious diseases by reading various selections from a resource called Your Health: The Science Inside.
To begin, read pages 9-12. As you read this resource, write down answers to the questions on the first page of the What’s Really Bugging You? student sheet.
Now, you should read pages 13-15. As you read these pages, write down answers to the questions on the second page of the What’s Really Bugging You? student sheet.
Finally, you should read pages 16-18. As you read these pages, write down answers to the questions on the third page of the What’s Really Bugging You? student sheet.
For your final project, you will help create a Virus/Infectious Disease Hall of Fame by developing a PowerPoint on one specific virus/infectious disease.
Check out the websites listed here by clicking on them and going through the sites for important information. Take notes if necessary for your project.
- Smallest Thing
- West Nile Weather
- Fighting Back
- Meet the Microbes
- Immune System
- Why Should I Care About Germs?
- Operation: Infection.Detection.BAM
This esheet is a part of the Viruses/Infectious Diseases: What’s Really Bugging You? lesson.