When you think of beagles, you probably think of cute little pet dogs that bark a lot. But beagles also can do serious and important work in the fight to keep our country safe.
To find out more about this work, read the PDF USDA's Detector Dogs: Protecting American Agriculture. After you have read the introduction, continue to these sections:
- Why Beagles?, p.5
- Beagle Brigade Membership and Training, p.8
- A Dog’s Life, p.10
Check out the following resources to read more information about how the dogs’ sense of smell can be used to “sniff” out a variety of problems.
- Dogs in training to sniff out cancer
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection: Canines
- Got termites? Call in the dog doctor
The links below will take you to three more brief stories about the Beagle Brigade. Read these stories and then use what you have learned to write a fictional account about an encounter with a Beagle Brigade team at the airport. You can be as creative as you like, but be sure that your story includes a description of how the beagle is able to detect illegal food products in passenger luggage.
- U.S. Beagle Brigade is First Defense Against Alien Species
- The Beagle Brigade
- Beagle boot camp: learning to sniff out contraband
This esheet is a part of the The Beagle Brigade lesson.