Have you ever wondered how scientists solve real-world problems? Or, what a jelly fish and submarine have in common? Watch the Dabiri video to find out.
You will watch a video clip about Dr. John Dabiri, a scientist who has used his research into the locomotion of different organisms to create practical and useful innovations for humans. Pay attention to the types of organisms he has studied and the types of innovations he has devised.
As you watch this video, think about answers to these questions, which you can record on your Organisms in Motion student sheet. You will discuss these questions in class:
- What were Dr. Dabiri’s interests when he was in school?
- How has he applied those interests to the study of biology?
- What organisms has Dr. Dabiri studied?
- What practical applications has he devised using his research?
- What other organisms might be useful for studies of locomotion?
- How might we use our research into the locomotion of those organisms in the real world?
This esheet is a part of the Organisms in Motion: Practical Applications of Biological Research lesson.