How much do you thnk you know about how chickens hatch? One way to find out is by watching hatching chickens very closely. But it is also important to know what special things eggs and baby chicks need in order to hatch and grow. This lesson will help you find out.
Go to Baby Chicks Hatching to watch a video of an egg hatching. Watch the video a few times so that you’ll be able to talk about these questions:
- Where is the hatching taking place?
- What is the chick doing during the hatching process?
- How does the chick look?
Now watch a video Mrs. Jimenez made about agriculture in the classroom and the chicken she and her second-grade class raised. Mrs. Jimenez starts out the video by talking about the life cycle of a chicken. She then shares pictures and the story of their chick, Lucky.
Think about answers to these questions:
- How long does it take for a chick to grow inside an egg?
- What temperature do eggs need to be kept at? If a hen isn't around, how do you think you could keep eggs at that temperature?
- Where did the class put the chick after it was hatched?
- At the very end of the video, Mrs. Jimenez says what happens to her class chicken. Where did it go?
This esheet is a part of the Hatching Chickens lesson.