In this lesson, you will learn about DNA, genes, chromosomes, the chemicals that make up DNA, etc. Use the resources on this esheet to help you learn about these things and to answer the questions on the What is DNA? student sheet.
Begin by going to What is DNA? This resource introduces you to DNA. Answer these questions on your student sheet:
- What is DNA?
- In what form does DNA come? What makes up the rungs of the double helix?
- What do genes do?
- Where is DNA?
- What are chromosomes made of?
- What are some things you think DNA determines?
Now go to Tour of the Basics to learn more about DNA. You should read through these topics:
- What is a gene?
- What is a chromosome?
- What is inheritance?
- What is a protein?
You should just read through the information on these pages and not do the activities.
Once you've gone through Tour of the Basics, you should then go to the Build a DNA Molecule activity. You can read the information on the page and then click "Start building" to begin the activity.
Answer these questions on your student sheet after you've explored all the resources:
- What do chromosomes look like and how are pairs identified?
- When you built the DNA strand in the What is DNA? section, what did you notice?
- How do we inherit characteristics from our parents?
- Describe transcription.
- Describe translation.
- What roll do proteins play in an organism?
This esheet is a part of the Extracting DNA lesson.