In this activity, you will get to do an experiment where you try to find out if a set of eggs can hold up some heavy books. Before you do this experiment, though, you can first find out about the different features of eggs by reading a book about them.
Go to An Egg Is Quiet on PBS Kids. This video is a reading of the book, An Egg Is Quiet by Dianna Aston. As you follow along with this book, think about your answers to these questions. You can answer the questions on your Big Egg Mystery student sheet:
- As you read along with this book, what do you notice about the eggs? Are they all the same? What are some of the eggs' colors, shapes, sizes, and textures?
- When it comes to the color of an egg, what is important about the color?
- When it comes to the shape of an egg, what is important about the shape?
- When it comes to the size of an egg, what is important about the size?
- Even though this was not discussed in the book, why do you think that when a bird sits on his/her eggs, the bird does not break the eggs?
- Do you think there is a way to find out why a bird does not break his/her eggs by doing an experiment in the classroom?
This esheet is a part of the Big Egg Mystery lesson.